How to use a ladder on stairs. Do you have some work on stairs, and you don’t have any other option to do that but lift your ladder up or down each time you need it?
You can see that this is frustrating. It takes too much of your energy and probably you will never finish on time because of that. That means extra work hours, which means extra money for you. Not a good idea after all.
How To Use A Ladder On Stairs
In order to carry out this trick, you need 2 ladders – 1 A-frame and 1 extension. The first thing you need to do is place the A-frame ladder on the landing at the top of your stairs.
You next lean your extension ladder against an overhanging wall on the same floor in a position that matches up with where you placed your A-frame ladder.
Once they are lined up, check to make sure they match correctly by measuring the span between your two ladders.
1. Make Homemade staircase ladder stand
Step 1: Making the Stairs Ladder Stand Frame
For making this homemade tool, you will only need four sturdy pieces of wood cut out about 24 inches long by 14 inches wide by 2 inches thick (height depending on how high the stairs are).
Then, drill three 3/4-inch holes into each end of the pieces, leaving about 6 inches between them.
Step 2: Assembling the Ladder Stand Frame
After that, you’ll have to connect all pieces using three carriage bolts with washers and wingnuts. Make sure everything is tight before moving forward. Now your frame should look like this:
The ladder rack also includes a crossbar at the top for extra support and safety:
Step 3: Building the Ladder’s Platform
Now we need to build a platform on which we can place our ladder. For that, we will use three other long pieces of wood cut out 24×24 inches (the size depends on how strong your ladder is) and two other pieces cut out 12×24 inches. Drill the last pieces to attach them to the frames.
Step 4: Attaching the Ladder Rack to the Stairs
Now you have two options here, either drill holes in your staircase and place bolts in them or use heavy-duty velcro strips.
After that, carefully position your ladder rack on one side of your stairs and zip tie it, so it won’t move when placing or removing your ladder. That’s all! It should look something like this.
And if you are not satisfied yet with what you see, go ahead and paint it any color you want! You can even make a few extra legs for your stairs stand by using more extended pieces of wood, making sure they are equally apart.
2. Buy a Ladder Stabilizer
There is another alternative for those who don’t have a lot of time on their hands or can’t be bothered to build their staircase ladder stand from scratch.
A quick and simple solution will cost you money, which isn’t that much compared to all the hard work that goes into making your stand.
The name of this tool is VEVOR Ladder Stabilizer, and it’s available for purchase at Amazon.
3. Replace the Ladder’s Braces
This method is pretty simple, and you can do it in less than 5 minutes. All you have to do is take off the braces that come after the top of your ladder, flip them around and place them upside down.
So they adjust to your stairs automatically. Just make sure they are tight enough so your ladder will not move when you climb up or down.
Safety Tips While Using a Ladder on Stairs
- Since the ladder is made so that you can move it up and downstairs, make sure to never climb on top of it while it’s still on the upper stair. It might tip over and cause some severe injuries or even death.
- Never attempt to put your ladder onto wooden stairs if they are wet with water because this might make them slippery and cause you to fall.
- Keep in mind that the platform is for holding a ladder only, not your weight. So always place it evenly on both sides of your stairs.
- Try to avoid having any furniture or stuff placed near or on top of it as this might be dangerous if anyone falls off the ladder.
- Keep your kids and pets away from it since they might mess around with it and tip over. All in all, make sure to be safe while using this homemade tool, and if you follow these tips and safety precautions, you should be just fine.
How to use a ladder on stairs. Using ladders on stairs can be a little tricky, confusing and frustrating, especially when you don’t know if it would be safe to do so.
To help you avoid accidents and injuries, we’ve put together a guide to different methods to use ladder on stairs and tips for each. We hope you’d found this article useful!
Thank you for reading. Have a nice day.